Withdrawal procedures for students called to active duty


USM is sensitive to the fact that our students may be called up to active duty. We try to make the process of withdrawal—and readmission—as painless as possible.


If you are called up, you need to notify the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs and contact our Veterans Services office and Veterans Certifying Official, Wanda Owen. You will need to provide USM with:


  • A copy of your military orders

  • Your forwarding address

  • A completed Active Duty Withdrawal Request form, available from the USM registrar's office

USM will make adjustments in tuition and fees for withdrawn classes, either with a full adjustment or partial refund where appropriate. Student Life has flexible options for check-out from our residence halls. And Financial Aid can make necessary adjustments to any aid you are receiving.


Withdrawing from classes for active duty reasons will likely result in a W listed on your academic transcript. If you withdraw close enough to the start date of a class, however, the course may simply be cancelled. Contact the Registrar's office for more information on specific cancellation deadlines.




USM will readmit veterans who left in order to perform military service. The readmitted student will maintain the same academic standing he or she had when last in attendance at Saint Mary, so long as the absence does not exceed certain time restrictions.


USM can make exceptions to this policy for students who received bad-conduct or dishonorable discharges or were sentenced in a court-martial. 


When you are ready to return, contact the university's Veterans Certifying Official.


Under the G.I. Bill, you may be eligible to keep the benefits you've already received and may be able to extend your ending date for benefits. Visit the G.I. Bill website for more information.