Health and Accident Insurance Care and Coverage

It is the student’s responsibility to pay for off-campus medical and/or hospital treatment. University of Saint Mary does not provide health insurance coverage.  If you do not have primary health insurance under your parents’ health plan or some other health insurance plan, you must obtain your own individual health care coverage.  Students involved in the athletic program must have coverage that includes collegiate athletics.  Insurance plan information may be obtained in the Student Life Office. 

All residential students, all international students, and all student athletes are required to maintain current health insurance. Students must present current proof of health insurance to the university when entering the university.  In addition, residential students and all international students enrolled at University of Saint Mary are eligible for and included in the student accident insurance program that will be added to the student’s bill unless coverage has been specifically waived due to other coverage.  This coverage is for medical expenses arising from accidents on campus. Athletes, injuried off-campus during sponsored athletic events, may have additional coverage available through USM athletic secondary insurance.  

All residential students, athletes, and international students are required to have an updated health history, physical examination, health/medical insurance, and an immunization record on file with Student Life or the athletic trainer.  All health forms must be on file before a residential student can move into the halls or an athlete can begin practice or participate in games.  The athletic trainer system for submitting health records can be accessed at

Instructions to activate student accident insurance for accident or injury: 

  1. During normal business hours, seek regular medical care. 

  2. For injuries that occur during a game or athletic practice, see trainer for evaluation, treatment, and/or referral. 

  3. After evaluation by the trainer, student should verify coverage and pick up a claim form from Student Life or the trainer.  Take the claim form and personal insurance card to physician’s office or hospital emergency room. 

  4. Return completed claim form and copy of all forms from the physician or emergency room to the Student Life Office or to the trainer. 

  5. For injuries of a serious or life-threatening nature, call 911 or proceed to the nearest emergency room.  Upon return to school, please bring copies of all paperwork received to the Student Life office or trainer to receive a claim form to complete. 

  6. For questions on this procedure, please contact the Student Life Office at ext. 6120 or the athletic trainer at ext. 4334. 

Accident insurance is also available to commuter students enrolled at University of Saint Mary.  Arrangements can be made and accident insurance paid for at the Business Office during the first two weeks of each semester. 

Medical Transportation

For liability reasons faculty and staff are not allowed to transport a student via their personal vehicle to a medical doctor or in the event of a medical emergency.  Staff may assist in calling an ambulance or other transportation options but all related responsibilities and fees will be incurred by the student and/or transportation provider.  At no time will a member of the staff, faculty, or student staff of the University of Saint Mary transport a student via their personal vehicle to a medical provider. 

Emergency Room Service

Saint John’s Hospital is conveniently located to the north of the campus. Cushing Memorial Hospital is located at 711 Marshall in Leavenworth.  Both hospitals provide emergency room service. 

Infectious Diseases/Immunizations

Failure to provide the required health form/information will result in a “health hold,” and the student will not be allowed to live in the residence halls, participate in athletics, or register for the next semester’s classes until he/she is in compliance. 

The immunization portion of the health record requires the following:

  • Tetanus-Diphtheria booster within the last 10 years

  • Two (2) MMR (measles, mumps, rubella) vaccines (persons born before 1957 are considered immune)

  • Proof of a negative tuberculosis (PPD) skin test or chest X-ray within the past year (12 months)

  • The State of Kansas now requires all incoming residential students to have a meningitis vaccination

A health care provider must validate the immunization record, or a copy of school/health department/military records is acceptable.  For those who will not or cannot be immunized for medical, religious, or other reasons, the university will engage in dialogue with the student in an attempt to reach a reasonable accommodation, if possible. Immunization records may be obtained from the student’s personal physician, high school, or local health department.

Students in healthcare programs at the University will, in many cases, be required to complete a clinical component at a clinical agency in order to successfully complete the program.  These clinical agencies may not accept students who have not had certain immunizations.  The University cannot control these agencies’ policies or force them to accept a student who does not have certain immunizations.  If a student does not complete a required clinical component, regardless of the reason(s) for non-completion, he or she cannot successfully complete the program.

In addition to the required immunizations, the American College Health Association recommends the following: hepatitis B, chickenpox, polio, and influenza. 

University of Saint Mary may:

  • Refer, when necessary, any person affiliated with the university who may have an infectious disease to appropriate qualified individuals for health care or counseling services in order to educate them about the disease, teach appropriate hygiene, and the importance of not engaging in behaviors that are known to be likely means of transmitting the disease to others;

  • Suspend, when necessary, general university housing regulations to accommodate appropriate living arrangements for persons with an infectious disease or their roommates;

  • Require persons with an infectious disease to take precautions with others when they have had or will have especially close contact, e.g. residence hall roommate or suitemate, which could pose an unacceptable risk of transmission of the disease.  The vice president for student life will verify such precautions. Precautionary requirements may be waived if alternative housing arrangements are accepted or if recommended by a health care provider satisfactory to the university; or

  • Restrict or terminate the enrollment or participation in university-related educational programs or activities or the housing status of any student known to have an infectious disease. Notice of restriction or termination will be in writing. 

Revised:  08/05/2014