Residence Life FAQs

Frequently Asked Questions


Am I required to live on campus?

The University of Saint Mary requires students to live within University housing until they are 19 years of age and a junior (60 credit hours) or 21 years of age at the start of his/her first semester.

Exceptions to this policy include students who are:

  • Married;

  • Parents of dependent children; or

  • Reside within the primary residence of a parent or legal guardian


Those seeking an exemption from the residency requirement must submit an On-Campus Housing Waiver Request to the Director of Residence Life. The Director will review the housing waiver along with all supporting documentation and then provide written notification of a decision.

What should I bring when I move in?

  • Alarm clock

  • Linens

  • General cleaning supplies

  • Extra-long twin sheets

  • Towels

  • Toiletries

  • Wastebasket

  • Laundry supplies

  • Laptop (required)

  • Room decor (see pg. 36 of the Student Life Handbook for limitations)

  • Umbrella

  • Storage containers, which may fit under bed

We encourage students to coordinate with roommates before purchasing/bringing the following items:

  • Television

  • Miniature Refrigeratror (no larger than 2.5 cubic feet

  • Microwave (no larger than 0.9 cubic feet)

What must I leave at home?

  • Amplifiers/subwoofers

  • Candles

  • Candle warmers

  • Dartboards

  • Fireworks

  • Flammable liquids

  • Grills (indoor or outdoor)

  • Halogen or sun lamps

  • Highway and/or road signs

  • Hookahs

  • Hot plates or any appliance with an exposed heating element

  • Incense

  • Pets (other than fish in a 10 gallon aquarium or less)

  • Surround sound systems

  • Weapons

Can I change my room assignment?

Yes, it is possible to change your room assignment; however, room changes will not occur until two weeks after the residence halls open. Room changes are facilitated by the assigned Residence Hall Coordinator within each hall.

Are Private Rooms Available?

Private rooms are available to upperclassmen and second-semester freshman as space permits. An additional charge is assessed for private rooms.

What computer services are available in the residence halls?

Each residence halls is equipped with wireless internet. Berkel Hall provides a community printer for resident use.

When do residence halls close during the academic year?

Residence halls close during Winter Break (December) and Summer Break (May). Specific closing dates are outlined within the housing contract.

Does USM offer housing options when the residence halls close for breaks?

Winter Break

Students who have university related obligations (e.g. athletics) during winter break will be given the opportunity to remain in the halls. Prior approval is required from Residence Life. Dining services are not available during this time.

Summer Housing

Residence Life provides limited housing options for students taking summer classes.

Fall Break, Thanksgiving Break & Spring Break Housing

All residence halls remain open during this time. Dining services are not available during thanksgiving and spring break.



Forgot my Email Password
eSpire Login
Sign Up for Campus Alerts » For Military Students »

University of Saint Mary
4100 South 4th St
Leavenworth, KS 66048

USM is accredited by The Higher Learning Commission, a member of the North Central Association of Colleges & Schools (NCA), and is an AQIP Participant.